Thursday, February 28, 2008

Get UNcomfortable Already!


As of today, my left hand is bare & ringless :( , while the diamonds from my wedding band are reset into their fresh new beds....it's such an uncomfortable feeling; to go without wearing the only convenient symbol of declaration to the world that I am bound in love & life to one man, my husband Chris.
Though at the same time, Im fully aware that feeling empty & incomplete from being without such a small accessory is silly...assanine, & it makes me think about COMFORT in general.
How often do each of us settle for whats comfortable?
I remember growing up a shy kid, would almost never approach strangers, probably not a bad thing...but it carried into my adolescent years to some extent, then my 20's. Dont get me wrong; I had some really good friends. But as for hangups, well I had a few...even when I entered leadership at my church. One of the hangups was being noticed; playing keyboard up front, it took my pastor several attempts at convincing me to do it....& helping me overcome this great fear of being the centre of attention. But you know, with lotsa prayer & determination to overcome, I went from hiding in the crowd, to eventually a main worship leader, youth leader, workout instructor, (yeah...thats right...we did Taebo classes at the church after Sunday services, LOL) & it got to the point where I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed any opportunity to allow the holy Spirit to effectively use me. As I opened myself up to Him, He spoke through me, & I'd see how he was touching those that were listening. What an amazing experience, to be obedient to the Lord, ready, willing & able to listen & obey...& the fruits that came out of that obedience were overwhelming. We know the scripture, "He gives us exeedingly abundantly more than we could ever ask for.' How true! God had transformed me from a reluctant & fearful, to 'Overcomer of fear of man'...& using me to speak & sing into others' hearts...& with it dreams & visions, leading me into other forms of ministry as well....
those were years of huge growth, & all I did was take that first step, trust the Lord & simply listened & obeyed as he guided me.
I know of other Christians who struggle in this way & pray for them to overcome as well. Still I've seen others in churches who have their groups/'cliques' of friends, which we all do to some extent; but the sad part is that many are COMFORTABLE within that group only, not even bothering to make the effort of conversation with others in that church body. Years go by, & some people have not even been approached by these other 'comfortable cliquers'. ( God just spoke that to me now, lol, thats hilarious, 'comfortable cliquers'. )
It's sad that people speak of unity in the body, when in fact there is only unity within a third of that body, & that being the clique. Why dont we as brothers & sisters in Christ see this/sense this & DO something to make change? As people come in to hear Gods word & fellowship, they get ignored, snubbed & eventually never go back to that place...If you ask me, it is time that changes take place.
Unity is not Unity unless it involves a Whole group unified. I really sense God saying lately that his idea of unity is not like ours. That he's saddenned with his church today, by the walls put up within his body.
When I've come across these cliquers, I dont even bother trying anymore. It's a waste of time & I pray that their eyes are opened soon, as many people are discouraged by this...no one is above anyone else. not a worship team, not a leader...they have more responsibility of course, but no one including them, are exempt from loving others within the body...equally.
If I could do it, ANYone can...anyone in Christ, who is willing to be obedient....

4 comments:

melanie said...

Overcoming the shyness also went beyond being in front of a group of ppl; God also took me to the point where I could approach/welcome guests with ease, & we often opened our home not jsut to the youth & our friends but also to these newcomers...I had no excuse to not reach out,as God had been SO GOOD to me:)

Valorosa said...

I remember the shyness too.
Terrified ... huge self doubt

But I will never forget how the Lord helped me overcome that ... He whispered to me to think more of the person I was talking to or the crowd I was addressing than I did of myself. Works everytime.

Serving one another in love.

As in every group of people serving the "least" of these is serving Christ.

melanie said...

...wow thats beautiful & so profound:) God always has the best answer for us!
kind of reminds me of 'less of me, more of Him'...& when we genuinely love others, it blesses them, pleases God, frees us of stuff & everyone wins:D

Valorosa said...

Everyone wins :-)

Love NEVER fails.