Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's All Good when you think about it...

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. She told me that her pastor made it clear that if he were given a donation of 'dirty money', no matter HOW large the amount, the church would most certainly refuse it. 'Really?'
This got me thinking, & I mean beyond the conversation itself & into the next day. Maybe its my "B-S" radar that goes off automatically at times, ...but come on. Are you kidding me?

1.) dont buy it-highly doubt that a large sum of money would be rejected by any ministry, at least in the Western world
2.) if it is true, what a waste of an opportunity to further God's work, help the needy...buy new china for ladies weekly coffee hour...(the senior's would Love it! ) lol
3) what ARE the motives in rejecting a donation? Is it pride? Or an actual, truly deep reverant fear of God...
4) who does this dude think he is, telling my friends & hundreds of others what he knows sounds good, what he knows won't cause a riot among the onlookers in this traditional church; but mainly...would his actions belie his honorable declarations if indeed faced with a hefty donation?
5) To me, it seems to come down to truth, & motive. If a church refuses certain monies out of a pure respect & honor for God, then they get my kudos. But I still hold my position of not seeing what the big deal is...esp when I look at the story in Luke 7:36-50:

"...He went to the Pharisee's house & sat down at the dinner table. Just then, a woman of the village, the town harlot, having learned that Jesus was a guest in the home of the Pharisee, came with a bottle of very expensive perfume, & stood at his feet, weeping, raining tears on his feet. Letting down her hair, she dried his feet, kissed them, & anointed them with the perfume. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man was the prophet I thought he was, he would have known what kind of woman this is who is falling all over him."

Jesus said to him, "Simon, I have something to tell you"
"Oh? Tell me."
"Two men were in debt to a banker.One owed five hundred silver pieces, the other fifty.Neither of them could pay up, & so the banker canceled both debts. Which of the two would be more grateful?"
Simon answered, "I suppose the one who was forgiven the most"
"That's right" said Jesus. Then turning to the woman but speaking to Simon, he said "Do you see this woman? I came to your home; you provided no water for my feet but she rained tears on my feet & dried them with her hair. You gave me no greeting, but from the time she arrived, she hasn't quit kissing my feet. You provided nothing for freshening up, but she has soothed my feet with perfume. Impressive, isn't it? She was forgiven many, many sins, & so she is very, very grateful. If the forgiveness is minimal, the gratitude is minimal."
Then he spoke to her: "I forgive your sins."
That set the dinner guests talking behind his back: "Who does he think he is, forgiving sins!"
He ignored them & said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

Jesus had his feet washed with perfume that was purchased by performing sexually immoral acts. But by using that money to bless him, serve him & love him, He responded to her by forgiving her many sins. That says freedom to me...

3 comments:

Dave Carrol said...

I'm actually quite into redeeming the wealth of the wicked.

What would dirty money be anyway? Like ransom from a mob hit?
ha

Valorosa said...

I guess money is only as dirty as the hands it is in.

The LOVE of money being the root of ALL evil.

Then I start thinking about money made from child prostitution ... then my self righteouisness kicks in

OOPS.

Then this brings me to the cross and the fact that we don't really realize what kind of forgiveness we are called to.

Grace to the child molester as well ... Grace to the ungracious ...

Grace to the unjust among us.

melanie said...

...& grace to those of us who do "redeem" the wealth of the wicked;)